Born on 14 November 2040, Brains was orphaned after a hurricane struck his home. At the age of twelve, he was adopted by a Cambridge University professor who recognized his great intelligence and encouraged his phenomenal learning abilities. He first met Jeff Tracy when he was giving a delivering a lecture at a cultural hall in Paris while Jeff was looking for a brilliant scientist to help make his plans for International Rescue a reality. After realising that Jeff was someone who wanted to use his knowledge and money for the benefit of others, Brains agreed to Jeff's offer. He was transported to Tracy Island straight away and immediately began work on designing amazing high tech machines for International Rescue including all the Thunderbirds and all the pod vehicles. His real name is unknown but he uses the alias "Hiram K Hackenbacker" and "Mr. X" to protect his identity from the outside world while he is developing new machines and aircrafts for other businesses, such as the Skythrust.
Brains is an extremely clever, highly-focused and intense individual who spends the vast majority of his time inventing. Despite Brains' diffident and stammering manner, he is an expert scuba diver and a highly-skilled marksman. He enjoys studying trigonometry and thermodynamics in his spare time and has a fondness for the game of chess. An extreme perfectionist who is never satisfied with his inventions, he continuously tries to improve them.
- Main article: Brains/Outfits
Brains appears in every TV episode except: Martian Invasion, The Perils Of Penelope, The Impostors and The Duchess Assignment (28 episodes). In End Of The Road he only appears in a non-speaking role. Brains also appears in all the films.
- Main article: Brains/Appearances
Brains is one of the most valuable members of International Rescue for he was the creator of several Thunderbird machines. He sometimes pilots Thunderbird 6, Alan's Tiger Moth biplane. His IR uniform signature colour is brown.
As the main engineer on Tracy Island, he does all he can to help the organisation such as adding new features and carrying out repairs.
- Brains' facial features are based on those of actor Anthony Perkins.
- In the 1967 TV Century 21 Spring Extra edition, Brains is officially given the birth name 'Horatio Hackenbacker'. It's a title that would be adopted for the Thunderbirds comic strip, revealed in Seeking Disaster.
- Brains, along with Scott, Lady Penelope, FAB 1 and Parker appeared in British comedian Peter Kay's "Animated All Star Band" for BBC Children In Need 2009.
- ↑ Thunderbird 4 was designed by W.A.S.P., and Thunderbird 6 is a standard biplane purchased on the open market.