An accident causes a U.S. Army vehicle to fall into a burning landfill, and only International Rescue is capable of transporting the equipment required to rescue the crew, before they die of heat exposure.
When a revolutionary new Army transport vehicle "The Sidewinder" is tested, it runs into trouble and disappears beneath the ground. International Rescue is called, and with men's lives at stake, a highly ingenious and dangerous operation devised by Brains must be executed perfectly to succeed.
- Main article: Pit of Peril/Storyline
Regular Voice CastEdit
- Jeff Tracy - Peter Dyneley
- Scott Tracy - Shane Rimmer
- Virgil Tracy - David Holliday
- Brains - David Graham
- John Tracy - Ray Barrett
Guest Voice CastEdit
- Colonel Sweeney - Ray Barrett
- Lieutenant Ralph - Peter Dyneley
- General Peters - David Graham
- Helicopter Pilot - Matt Zimmerman
- Lieutenant Mead - Ray Barrett
- Sergeant Reynolds - David Graham
- Frank - David Graham
- Johnny - Shane Rimmer
- Helijet Pilot Charlie - Matt Zimmerman
- Main article: Pit of Peril/Gallery
- This episode follows the pilot episode, Trapped in the Sky, in the order of both production and TV broadcast. City Of Fire was the next to be produced, but The Perils Of Penelope was actually broadcast after this episode. From that point on, the actual order of broadcast departed from the production order until episode 25, The Cham-Cham.
- Pit of Peril is the only episode not to feature any female characters.
- This is the first appearance of the recurring pod vehicle the Mole, which will be seen in action again in the episodes City Of Fire and The Duchess Assignment, as well as a cameo appearance in Cry Wolf and a mention in Vault Of Death.
- This is the only appearance of the Recovery Vehicles.
- In the Australian 30 minute 'cliffhanger' version, part 1 ends with a shot of Thunderbird 1 switching to horizontal flight.
- This is the only episode of the original series not to feature Christine Finn.
International Rescue Equipment UsedEdit
- Thunderbird 1
- Thunderbird 2 (Pod 5)
- Thunderbird 5
- Recovery Vehicles
- Remote-Control Hover Camera
- The Mole
Non-International Rescue Equipment UsedEdit
- Main article: Pit of Peril/Goofs
- Main article: Pit of Peril/Transcript
- Main article: Pit of Peril (Fox Kids Series)
- German: Im Krater gefangen (DVD)
- French: L'éboulement (VHS, DVD)
- Italian: Sidewinder S.O.S.
- Spanish: El Abismo del Peligro; El agujero peligroso (DVD)
- Dutch: Kuil vol gevaar (TV 1966); Instortingsgevaar (TV 1991); Valkuil van gevaar (VHS, DVD)
- Japanese: ジェット“モグラ号”の活躍