The retro rockets fail on a manned mission to retrieve matter from a solar prominence, putting the spaceship on collision course with the Sun. Thunderbird 3 and Thunderbird 2 are sent on a dual mission to transmit a radio signal that will remotely activate the Sun Probe's retros.
- Main article: Sun Probe/Episode Guide
- Main article: Sun Probe/Transcript
Regular Voice CastEdit
- Jeff Tracy - Peter Dyneley
- Scott Tracy - Shane Rimmer
- Virgil Tracy - David Holliday
- Alan Tracy - Matt Zimmerman
- Brains - David Graham
- Tin-Tin Kyrano - Christine Finn
- Gordon Tracy - David Graham
- Kyrano - David Graham
- TV Reporter - Matt Zimmerman
Guest Voice CastEdit
- Colonel Harris - Ray Barrett
- Solarnaut Asher - David Graham
- Solarnaut Camp - John Tate
- Colonel Benson - David Graham & Ray Barrett
- Professor Heinz Bodman - Peter Dyneley
- Braman - David Graham
- When broadcast in the 2-part 'cliffhanger' format, the first installment concludes with two external shots of Sun Probe successfully turning around and moving away from the Sun.
- However, in the Australian version, part 1 ends after Thunderbirds 2 launches, and then the camera zooms in on the Sun, then screen fades to black.
International Rescue Equipment UsedEdit
Non-International Rescue Equipment UsedEdit
- This episode marks the first appearance of Brains' robot Braman.
- The Sun Probe from The Perils Of Penelope returns in this episode. It later returns again in Security Hazard, albeit as a flashback.
- This episode, along with Ricochet, were edited together in the compilation film, In Outer Space.
- Jeff states that this is Tin-Tin's first mission, which means this episode must take place before The Uninvited and Desperate Intruder.
- Music from 'Fireball XL5' can be heard as the Probe Rocket recovers the Solar Module.
- Main article: Sun Probe/Goofs
- French: Vers le Soleil
- German: Unternehmen Sonnensonde
- Italian: Missione sole
- Spanish: La Sonda del Sol; Sonda solar (DVD)
- Dutch: Zonnesonde (VHS, DVD); Gevaarlijke koers (TV 1991)
- Japanese: ロケット”太陽号”の危機