|Season 1, Episode 4|
|Air date||21st October 1965|
|Written by||Alan Fennell|
|Directed by||David Elliott and David Lane|
The Perils Of Penelope
Edge Of Impact
"Terror In New York City" is the fourth episode of Season 1, originally broadcast on 21st October 1965. It was the thirteenth episode produced.
Thunderbird 2 is attacked while returning from a rescue mission, putting it out of action for several weeks. International Rescue is forced to use different means to transport Thunderbird 4 to New York City, where the collapse of the Empire State Building has trapped a reporter and his cameraman in an underground river.
- Main article: Terror In New York City/Episode Guide
- Main article: Terror In New York City/Transcript
Regular Voice CastEdit
- Jeff Tracy - Peter Dyneley
- Scott Tracy - Shane Rimmer
- Virgil Tracy - David Holliday
- Alan Tracy - Matt Zimmerman
- Brains - David Graham
- Tin-Tin Kyrano - Christine Finn
- Gordon Tracy - David Graham
- Kyrano - David Graham
Guest Voice CastEdit
- Ned Cook - Matt Zimmerman
- Joe - David Graham
- U.S.N. Sentinel Commander - Ray Barrett
- First Officer Clayton - David Graham
- 1st Site Control Policeman - Ray Barrett
- 2nd Site Control Policeman - David Graham
- New York City Police Patrol - David Graham
- NTBS Newsreader - Ray Barrett
- Police Officer Garner - David Graham
- TV Compere - Ray Barrett
- Scanners - Shane Rimmer
- Washington Control - Shane Rimmer
International Rescue Equipment UsedEdit
Non-International Rescue Equipment UsedEdit
- This show marks the first on-screen appearance of Thunderbird 4 and the recurring pod machine Firefly. Firefly also takes part in the rescue in City Of Fire, and makes a cameo appearance in Cry Wolf.
- The red gantry supporting Thunderbird 2 in the Tracy Island hangar appears again as part of the Empire State Building atomic moving gantry. This same gantry was also previously seen to the right of the Sun Probe in the episodes Sun Probe and The Perils Of Penelope. It also appears as part of the Australian Atomic Plant at the start of The Mighty Atom.
- Among the members of the audience at "The Ned Cook Show" are Doctor Godber from The Perils Of Penelope and the film producer Bletcher from Martian Invasion.
- When broadcast in half hour "cliffhanger" editions, part one concludes on the commercial break when Ned and Joe stare up in horror as the Empire State Building collapses atop of them.
- On 13th October 1965, AVRO aired a Dutch-dubbed, black-and-white version of Terror in New York City in the Netherlands, 8 days before it first aired in the UK.
- In the Thunderbirds Are Go! episode Earthbreaker, Thunderbird 2 suffers a similar attack and crash-landing to what it experienced in this episode, except that the attack in Earthbreaker is a deliberate assault by a new villain rather than the accidental assault it was here.
- Main article: Terror In New York City/Goofs
- Main article: Terror in New York City/Gallery
- Main article: Terror in New York City (Fox Kids Series)
In 1992, several episodes of Thunderbirds were adapted into comic book format for Fleetway's Thunderbirds The Comic series with Terror in New York City among the first. Written by Alan Fennell and illustrated by Keith Page, the 12 page adaptation was spread over 3 issues, emulating the presentation of the 1960's TV Century 21 stories.
This compressed version of the episode retained most of the plot, though with a few changes in dialogue, along with switching minor character roles. The most notable change occurred in the final panel, where John Tracy and Kyrano were added to accompany the rest of his family in attending The Ned Cook Show.
- German: Desaster in New York
- French: Terreur à New York
- Italian Attacco dal mare
- Spanish: Terror en la Ciudad de Nueva York; Terror en Nueva York (DVD)
- Dutch: Paniek in New York City (TV); Paniek in New York (VHS); De verschrikking van New York (DVD)
- Japanese: ニューヨークの恐怖