|Equipment & Vehicles|
|Main Operator:||Gordon Tracy|
|Appearances:||List of Appearances|
Thunderbird 4 is International Rescue's main vehicle for underwater rescue. It is a yellow mini-submarine, usually delivered to the danger zone by Thunderbird 2 in Pod 4. It is piloted by aquanaut Gordon Tracy.
It fits comfortably within one of Thunderbird 2's pods, usually Pod 4, although on occasion it has been delivered to the danger zone by other means, either by another pod (in Attack of the Alligators!, it is launched from Pod 6), direct launching from Tracy Island, or aided transportation by the World Navy (only seen on one occasion - Terror In New York City - when Thunderbird 2 was undergoing a complete rebuild).
Thunderbird 4 is equipped with a missile launcher, a searchlight, a battering ram and a laser, all of which are located in the nose of Thunderbird 4. It is capable of travelling on surface water (hover mode) or underwater. Its small interior is equipped with an airlock for access and exit while underwater.
Emergency launch jets: 4 vertical-thrust hover jets and 2 x 25 liquid fuel mini-rockets
Emergency launch speed: 30 mph
Forward and reverse drive: 6 electrically driven reversible axial-flow turbine impellers
Length: 30 feet
Main turbo drive: 2 axial-flow turbines providing forward thrust only
Maximum speed (underwater): 160 knots
Maximum operating depth: 30,000 feet
Power source: twin atomic fusion reactors
Surface cruising speed: 40 knots
Underwater speed: 160 knots
Weight: 16 tons
Width: 11 feet
Located at the back of the cockpit, an airlock allows Gordon access outside the craft while underwater.
Halogen Lighting BarEdit
Hydraulic Rams With Electro-magnetic ClampEdit
Hydraulic rams incorporating electromagnetic pads.
A "paralyser" featured in The Man From MI.5.
- Main article: Paralysing A Mini-Sub
Laser beam CutterEdit
Underwater Sealing UnitEdit
Underwater sealing unit primarily used to contain natural gas eruptions on the seabed. The unit is towed by Thunderbird 4 into position and is lowered over the eruption. When in place, four ballast valves hold the unit down tight.
This equipment was used in Atlantic Inferno to seal off a natural gas eruption.
- Main article: Thunderbird 4/Launch Sequence
- Terror In New York City
- Day Of Disaster
- Desperate Intruder
- Operation Crash-Dive
- The Mighty Atom
- The Man From MI.5
- Attack of the Alligators!
- Security Hazard (flashback from Day Of Disaster)
- Atlantic Inferno
- Thunderbirds Are Go (opening scene cameo)
- Thunderbird 6 (cameo)
Rescues And MissionsEdit
- Main article: Thunderbird 4/Missions
- See also:
- Seascape - Crew Rescue - (Atlantic Inferno)
- Ned Cook - Rescue - (Terror In New York City)
- A Race Against Time - (Day Of Disaster)
- Rescue From The Bottom Of Lake Anasta - (Desperate Intruder)
- Thunderbird 4's Mission to Destroy Sea Water Intake (Atomic Plant) - (The Mighty Atom)
- The Hunt For Fireflash 4 - (Operation Crash-Dive)
- Paralysing A Mini-Sub - (The Man From MI.5)
- Needle in a Haystack - (Attack of the Alligators!)
- (More to be added)
In Security Hazard, Chip Morrison sneaks into Thunderbird 2's pod and is taken back to Tracy Island, creating a breach of security. Thunderbird 4 is only seen in flashback footage from the episode Day Of Disaster.
Thunderbird 4 has featured in books, Annuals and comics over the past 50 years, a full listing can be found on the following page:
- Main article: History of Cross Sections (Classic Thunderbirds)
Thunderbird 4 Cross Section Check-listEdit
- Thunderbirds annual, published by City magazines UK 1966 (1).
- Thunderbird 4 Technical Sheet, Albert Heijin, Netherlands 1966 (1) Dutch text, black and white version.
- Thunderbirds Extra 3, Nederland Rotogravure, Netherlands 1968. (1) Dutch text.
- Thunderbirds comic, issue Number 4, Fleetway Editions, November 1991 (2)
- The Collection No.2, Fleetway editions 1992 (2)
- Thunderbirds in Space, Ravette Books UK 1992 (2)
- Thunderbirds In De Ruimte, Big Balloon Books, Netherlands 1994 (2) Dutch text.
- The Official Thunderbirds Annual by Grandreams UK 1993 (2).
- FAB Cross-Sections, Ravette Books UK 1993 (2)
- Technical Manual - Part 2, free with Thunderbirds Magazine UK 1995 (2).
- The Comic Collection, Egmount UK 2013 (2).
- Inside The World of Gerry Anderson, Egmont UK 2015 (2).
- Agents Technical Manual, Haynes UK 2012 & 2015 (3).
- Owner's Workshop Manual, Haynes UK, 2014 (3)
- Secret Files, published by Carlton books UK 2003 (4)
- FAB Cross-Sections, Carlton books UK 2000 (4)
- FAB Cross-Sections, Carlton books Japan 2001 (4) Japanese text
- Supermarionation Cross-Sections, Carlton books UK 2000 (4)
- Thunderbirds Collection, DeAgostini (Part work) 2003 (5)
- Rendan Comic, issue number 4, February 2001 (6)
Classic Merchandise Edit
The Anime Series Thunderbirds 2086 also features a yellow submarine called Thunderbird 4. It is considerably larger than the original. In fact, it is large enough to carry on board a yellow mini-sub called Thunderbird 13.
Thunderbirds (2004 Movie)Edit
- Main article: Thunderbird 4 (2004 Movie)
Thunderbirds Are Go! (TV Series)Edit
- Main article: Thunderbird 4 (TB2015)