|Equipment & Vehicles|
|Main Operator:||Gordon Tracy|
|Appearances:||List of Appearances|
Unlike Thunderbirds 1, 2 and 3 - all of which are capable of travelling to danger zones under their own power - TB4 fits comfortably within its own specialized pod - Pod 4 - aboard Thunderbird 2, which then transports it to where it is needed.
Sometimes TB4 must utilize other means, to get from place to place - in a different pod (eg Pod 6, in Attack of the Alligators!); via direct launching, from Tracy Island's runway; or via assistance from other transportation - notably by the World Navy's USN Sentinel (Terror in New York City), after TB2 had been incapacitated and needed to undergo a complete rebuild.
TB4 is equipped with a versatile arsenal of sophisticated gadgetry - including a missile launcher, a searchlight, a battering ram and a laser, all of which are located in the nose of the sub. It is capable of travelling on surface water (hover mode) or underwater. Its small interior is equipped with an airlock for access and exit while underwater.
- Emergency launch jets: 4 vertical-thrust hover jets and 2 x 25 liquid fuel mini-rockets
- Emergency launch speed: 30mph
- Forward and reverse drive: 6 electrically driven reversible axial-flow turbine impellers
- Length: 30 feet
- Main turbo drive: 2 axial-flow turbines providing forward thrust only
- Maximum speed (underwater): 160 knots
- Maximum operating depth: 30,000 feet
- Power source: twin atomic fusion reactors
- Surface cruising speed: 40 knots
- Underwater speed: 160 knots
- Weight: 16 tons
- Width: 11 feet
Located at the back of the cockpit, an airlock allows Gordon access outside the craft while underwater.
Halogen Lighting BarEdit
Hydraulic Rams With Electro-magnetic ClampEdit
Hydraulic rams incorporating electromagnetic pads.
A "paralyser" featured in The Man From MI.5.
- Main article: Paralysing A Mini-Sub
Laser beam CutterEdit
Thunderbird 4 is also equipped with forward-firing missiles, used in Day Of Disaster (to blow away debris from the river-mud-embedded Martian Space Probe); and in Desperate Intruder (to return fire from an attack by The Hood's own mini-submarine).
Underwater Sealing UnitEdit
Primarily used to contain natural-gas eruptions on the seabed, the Underwater Sealing Unit (also known as the "sealing device") is first towed by Thunderbird 4 from Pod 4 onto the sea-surface. Both craft then submerge, to reach the danger zone. Once in position, it is then lowered over the site of the eruption. Four ballast valves are then driven deep into the seabed, to hold the unit down tight.
This equipment was used in Atlantic Inferno to seal off a natural-gas eruption.
- Main article: Thunderbird 4/Launch Sequence
- Terror in New York City
- Day Of Disaster
- Desperate Intruder
- Operation Crash-Dive
- The Mighty Atom
- The Man From MI.5
- Attack of the Alligators!
- Security Hazard (flashback from Day Of Disaster)
- Atlantic Inferno
- Thunderbirds Are Go (opening scene cameo)
- Thunderbird 6 (cameo)
Rescues And MissionsEdit
- Main article: Thunderbird 4/Missions
- See also:
- Seascape - Crew Rescue - (Atlantic Inferno)
- Ned Cook - Rescue - (Terror in New York City)
- A Race Against Time - (Day Of Disaster)
- Rescue From The Bottom Of Lake Anasta - (Desperate Intruder)
- Thunderbird 4's Mission to Destroy Sea Water Intake (Atomic Plant) - (The Mighty Atom)
- The Hunt For Fireflash 4 - (Operation Crash-Dive)
- Paralysing A Mini-Sub - (The Man From MI.5)
- Needle in a Haystack - (Attack of the Alligators!)
- (More to be added)
In Security Hazard, Chip Morrison sneaks into Thunderbird 2's pod and is taken back to Tracy Island, creating a breach of security. TB4 appears only in flashback footage, from the episode Day Of Disaster.
Cross-sections (Cutaway Drawings)Edit
Cutaway drawings of Thunderbird 4 has featured in a number of books, annuals, and comics over the past 50 or so years.
- Main article: History of the Cutaway Drawings (Classic Thunderbirds)