- "Mobile Control and Fireflash. This is Thunderbird 2. I'm ready."
Virgil's signature colour on his IR uniform is canary yellow.
Virgil was named by his parents after Mercury 7 astronaut Virgil "Gus" Grissom.
He is an accomplished graduate of the Denver School of Advanced Technology. This gave him the experience and knowledge to become the pilot of Thunderbird 2 and to operate its various complex auxiliary rescue vehicles (such as the Mole and the Monobrake) he is responsible for transporting to the danger zone.
Virgil has taken part in nearly all of International Rescue's rescue operations, with only a couple of exceptions. The most notable case took place in Terror In New York City, when Thunderbird 2 was attacked while returning to Tracy Island, rendering him incapable of joining the rescue attempt to save two men trapped beneath the ruins of the Empire State Building. And, as Virgil rarely co-pilots Thunderbird 3, he was not involved in the space rescue during The Impostors.
On two on-screen occasions, Scott has undertaken a rescue mission without the help of Virgil or Thunderbird 2. One was during the phony rescue at the start of Cry Wolf. Scott is seen returning from the second at the start of The Uninvited. Later in this same episode, Scott undertakes a mission alone and Virgil -- although he is sent to find Scott when he disappears -- proves to be unnecessary.
Personality & TraitsEdit
Virgil shares a compassionate side of responsibility with his brothers, never placing technology above human needs, even if it means placing his own life in danger. He has a mixed personality, that possesses physical strength and bravery with a gentler side of his hobbies of art and playing the piano.
Virgil the ArtistEdit
Having finally arrived back on Tracy Island, after winning the Parola Sands motor car race, Alan agreed to pose for Virgil so that his brother could paint his portrait holding the golden trophy aloft.When he had finished painting his masterpiece, he showed it to Alan; whereupon an angry and unimpressed Alan sent him, and Scott, down into the hangar below by activating the couch controls. Virgil's artistic skills extend beyond portraiture: in Atlantic Inferno, he's seen in the Tracy Lounge working on a seascape; and he presents Brains with "your specially commissioned painting of Skyship One" - the high-tech airship Brains had designed - in the film Thunderbird 6.
Virgil appears in all 32 television episodes, as well as in all the movies.
- Main article: Virgil Tracy/Missions
- Main article: Virgil Tracy/Outfits
- Virgil's facial features are based on those of actor Robert Reed.
- Sources differ as to whether Virgil or John is the second of Jeff's sons (after Scott).
- Virgil is ambidextrous.
- "Now, Scott! Now!" - Thunderbirds Are Go (film)
- "MISSILES!" - Terror in New York City
- "Alan, don't move. Whatever you do, don't move...How do you expect me to get a good likeness if you don't keep still?" - Move - And You're Dead
- "Gee, I wish we could have a white Christmas, just like the old days...It's beautiful!" - Give or Take a Million
- "Alan, Thunderbird 1 is sliding. Get her up! Fast!" - Atlantic Inferno
"I`m applying brakes down here" - Trapped in the Sky